As part of a £400,000 conservation scheme funded by The Heritage Lottery Fund, this summer will see Fabric Architecture complete the long-awaited installation of a key preservation element at St Georges Garrison Church, Woolwich. The fully-bespoke tensile and glulam structure is a sympathetic yet contemporary addition to the historical ruins following its near destruction in 1944 by a V2 flying bomb.
Working alongside a team of other specialist sub-contractors including Greenwoods Project Management, over 400m2 of bespoke tensile canopy will part-house the decorative and atmospheric remains of the church, providing much needed shelter for the delicate mosaic interiors.
The new bespoke tensile roof answers the demand for practical weather-protection and injects a new lease of life so that soon-to-be owners, Heritage of London Trust, can continue to use its inspiring and poignant space for open air services, memorials and community events. Completion is due early 2015.